Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Buffalo, AL



I have always been intrigued with the names of towns and places. I guess that stands to reason, having been born in a town whose name means "buzzard roost."

This little town in Chambers County, Alabama is not really a town at all. It's more of a bend in the road on US 431 a couple of miles north of the county seat of Lafayette.

I have a neat little book (Place Names in Alabama, by Virginia O. Foscue) that tells me that there was a post office here in 1872. The original settlement was known as "Buffalo Wallow", supposedly referring to a large bald spot on the ground that was in the shape of a buffalo.

That's kind of a let down to me. I had envisioned a time when buffalo might have roamed the rolling hills of Chambers County, pursued by wild-eyed Creek Indians on Spanish ponies.

After all, the next town sign up the road reads "White Plains."

2 comments:

  1. My sister told me tonight of a small town in East Texas called Little Hope. She especially likes the Little Hope Baptist Church sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like the town and church for me. I'll gas up the bike.

    ReplyDelete