Sunday, May 9, 2010

Monroeville (Part III)

In my previous post, I talked about the uniqueness of Monroeville as the setting of so much great writing. My focus was on the landscape: the buildings, the businesses, and the educational institutions that line her streets. But no town exists separately from it's people. People are shaped and formed from the landscape they inhabit, whether that be the edge of a river, the top of a mountain, or a broad treeless plane. And conversely, no inhabited landscape exists without the influence and mark of her people. They form and shape the landscape; their intellect and personalities are displayed on the land, the buildings, and the very layout and naming of the streets. The people are as much a part of setting or "the muse of location" as is the physical world that contains it. It is the stage on which they act their parts--but also the stage they themselves have built on which to act these parts.

I have two very broad observations concerning the people of Monroeville.

The townspeople that I have encountered over the last two years are among the friendliest I have met anywhere in Alabama. In fact, I've yet to meet an unfriendly person--whether in a hotel, convenience store, or in a parking lot. Surliness, rudeness, or apathy have become all-too-common, even in the mannered South. Yet everywhere I've been in Monroeville, I was asked "Y'all here for the play?", followed by "Where you visiting from?" It is almost as if they had a town meeting, Mayberry style, and instructed all the good citizens on how to treat strangers. Everyone from the young pretty waitress at the Huddle House to the two old men talking gardening and swapping lies on a bench in front a convenience store--all were friendly and helpful.

The other group of people I am so impressed with are the men, women, and children who comprise the cast of the "Mockingbird Players"--those who perform a two-act stage adaptation of Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird that is now in it's twentieth year. The production is so well-done that it would be easy to overlook the fact that these people are all amateurs. This obviously means that they give up a great deal of their time to make the play a memorable experience for those of us who have been fortunate enough to make the pilgrimage to Monroeville to experience it.

Although each part is well-played, I'd like to mention three actors specifically:

Atticus, played by Harvey Gaston. Mr. Gaston plays Atticus in the spirit of the novel, as a humble, thoughtful attorney. This is no easy role, especially since most of us probably will forever associate Gregory Peck with the character. Mr. Gaston's real job is as CEO of a local bank. I'm sure that our faltering economy and the woes in the banking industry make him a very busy man. I'm appreciative that he was willing to share his time in what is likely countless hours of preparation for visitors to relive Miss Lee's story.

Scout, played by Carly Jo Martens. Carly is, quite simply, a "show stealer." This is her second year in the part, and I'm somewhat saddened to realize that she is growing up and may likely be too mature to play Scout again after this season's production. When I think of all the things a twelve year old school girl could do with her time, I am again appreciative that she chose to share it with people like me.

Sheriff Heck Tate, played by Pete Coates. Pete plays Heck Tate with the country sheriff's mix of authority and sensibility. His real job is as a forester and real estate broker, so I feel somewhat of a kinship with him, since that is also my real job. I know his time is valuable too, and believe me, if his business has been as slow as mine in this economy, he has a lot on his mind. I'm glad he chose to share that time with us.

Consider taking a short trip to see "To Kill a Mockingbird." I'm sure you'll be impressed with the town and the people of Monroeville, Alabama.

1 comment:

  1. Ray,

    I am a friend of the Vinsons in Clanton, AL and originally from Monroeville. Neal and Jennifer mentioned to me that you had recently written about the play and town and I was glad to see how much you enjoyed both. Its a definitely a place of charm and southern spirit. I look forward to our paths crossing in the future.

    Jake McCall

    ReplyDelete