Monday, April 12, 2010

My Hometown

I was born and raised in Sylacauga (pronounced Sill-a-caw'-ga), a town of about 12,000 people in central Alabama. The name is of Creek Indian origin, and means "buzzard roost." For those of you who are unfamiliar with the southern U.S., a buzzard is a large, ugly, carrion-eater, similar to what is called a vulture in other places. Buzzard roosting areas are typically foul-smelling and covered with droppings and vomit. Apparently Sylacauga was not a garden spot during the Creek days.

So yes, I grew up in buzzard roost. Proud of it, too. I could have done a lot worse.

Sylacauga is a typical small Alabama town. Not much has changed much since I left thirty years ago. It certainly hasn't grown, a victim of the changing economic landscape that is the "New South." The cotton mill closed several years ago, and hundreds of jobs vanished. A nearby paper mill is on it's last leg. A marble quarry produces a beautiful pure white marble that is favored by sculptors and builders all over the world, but sales and jobs are probably not at the level they once were. And as is the case all over the South, the "big box" stores and chain restaurants are all located on the four lane that skirts the town, leaving the small family-owned stores and businesses in the heart of downtown to struggle for survival.

Still, a lot of former residents of Sylacauga have done well. Her most famous resident made it all the way to Hollywood. His name is Jim Nabors, and you will likely recognize him in the clip below.



I met Jim Nabors once years ago, when he came home for "Jim Nabor's Day" back in 1980. It was a Mayberry-type celebration, with speeches, a parade, and the key to the city. I found him to be as decent and friendly as the character he portrayed on television.

So I'm from a town whose name means "buzzard roost", but at least I share that distinction with television royalty.

It is at this point that you should be thinking "well, gawwwwwl leeeee!"

And for reading my blog, let me say "Well, thank yee, thank yee, thank yee."

3 comments:

  1. I met a guy from your neck of the woods the other day and he told me to tell Ray that Goober says "Hey!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of your better posts, Ray. Good writing. Glad to know you are from the same place as good ole' Jim Nabors.

    ReplyDelete