Monday, May 31, 2010

The "Happyday"



I made a quick pit stop today at a favorite Mexican restaurant of mine. I always make it a point to engage the lovely senora who runs the place in a little conversation.

She knows a little English and I know a little Spanish. We get by. As Carl Childers might say "I like the way she talks, and she likes the way I talk."

I asked how business was. She said it was "a little slow due to the happy day." Of course I knew she meant "holiday", but like I said, I struggle with my Spanish, so I was tolerant of her slight mistake. I'm sure my Spanish transgressions are much worse. Besides, I knew what she intended. We communicated.

I think I might even like "happy day" better.

I am being careful here not to disclose the location of said restaurant and senora. These are troubled times in Alabama and the U.S.

Everybody working there looks sort of "foreigny." And we are on the eve of an election here in Alabama.

If you don't know what I mean, check out the Red Head's blog: http://newsandfunnies.blogspot.com/

By the way, the photo I used above is of Honduras and not Mexico. Doesn't matter, though. Isn't it all the same south of Texas?

No comments:

Post a Comment