Saturday, May 29, 2010

What's in a Name?



I live in the "Heart of Dixie" which also happens to be the heart of the "Bible Belt." As such, there are churches on nearly every corner in the towns, as well as those scattered throughout the countryside. So many churches require a lot of names.

I have always found this interesting. I often wonder if the name can provide clues as to what goes on there--what people believe, what they are, or what they hope to be.

There are only a few Catholic churches, always in town. Usually named "Saint something" or "Our Lady of something." Can't discern much from that.

There are those names based on timing: First Baptist, First Methodist, First Presbyterian. First on the scene and oldest in the settlement.

There are those that are based on location or description of the landscape: Ridge Road, Pine Grove, Tenth Street. This spot is where we gather.

There are those based on some doctrinal tenet: Freewill, Grace, Seventh Day Adventists, Gifts of the Holy Spirit, and my personal favorite "Church of the Five Signs Following," taken from Mark 16:17-18.

Out in the country there are a lot of congregations with Biblical names: Sardis, Bethel, Shiloh, Macedonia, Philadelphia, Mt. Nebo, Corinth, Ephesus, and Smyrna. Many of these are taken from the churches mentioned in Revelation chapters two and three. I've never run across a Laodicea, but I suspect a lot churches might be better suited to that name than the one they have.

And then there's the one in the photograph above, which I have seen in several places across the Alabama countryside. It always makes me laugh, and then I get a little sad.

I suspect that "New Harmony" means the harmony at Harmony turned into something less than harmony, prompting a portion of the flock to seek harmony elsewhere.

I am left to ponder what caused the disharmony at Harmony. Was it a doctrinal issue? Or was it something more trivial, like the color of the new choir robes, the style of music, or the "dress code"? Having attended various churches across many locations most of my life, I suspect the latter.

And that is a shame and a hindrance to the "Good News" proclaimed by Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, and don't forget Unity #2 and #3. I once had a seminary professor who said, "Boys don't ever go to a Harmony, Unity, or any church that has a number at the end of the name. I will almost guarentee that there is no harmony or unity in any of them!" Wise words indeed!!

    I love you blog! I look forward to every single post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Protestant born and bred in a die hard Catholic enclave, I take umbrage that the names of Catholic churches don't have much to discern. The diocese of New Orleans has the hdq of St Louis Cathedral, after a medieval king of France. Political and French.. telling indeed.Smaller churches and schools are often named Louis King of France. Our patron lady saint is Our Lady of Prompt Succor. Since this is a family blog I won't offer any comments on that one. It's actually a name for the Virgin Mary. St Vincent's? Always a charitable outfit named for a French saint who liked to visit prisoners in Paris. Saint Anne? Cajuns love her b/c she had quite a rep with Canadian French people. Sometimes, Catholics too have interesting names for their churches but you have to know the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems to me I remember a Catholic church in Baton Rouge named "Our Lady of Eternal Sorrows" or something similar.

    ReplyDelete