Friday, April 1, 2011

The Politician




I ran across this relic of Alabama politics in the little north Alabama town of Cullman a few weeks ago. It reminded me of my childhood and the little bulldog of a man who became synonymous with the State. He will likely always be remembered for his segregationist views, though I believe he was no different from most of the politicians of today. He said what he thought he needed to say to get votes.

Wallace started his career as a Circuit Judge in Alabama, where he gained a reputation for fairness. Although he upheld segregationist laws that were on the books in that day, there is no historical evidence of any personal racism in his rulings. In fact, quite the contrary. J.L. Chestnut, a black attorney, recalled that Wallace was the first judge ever to call him "Mister" in the courtroom.

Wallace's political views took a decided racial turn after he lost his first run for Alabama Governor in 1958. His opponent, John Patterson, ran with the backing of the Ku Klux Klan, while Wallace was endorsed by the NAACP.

His racial rhetoric began to increase in the 60's, and his popularity exploded. When questioned about the change in his political strategy, Wallace said "You know, I tried to talk about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been a part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about niggers, and they stomped the floor."

Wallace was elected as Alabama's governor several times and made a few runs at the White House. His most successful attempt was in 1972, when his bid was effectively ended in Maryland by an assassination attempt that left him paralyzed from the waist down. It's interesting to me that he had toned down his racial rhetoric in favor of a "law and order and state's rights" platform. These ideas have been a large part of the Republican party platform ever since, and have largely transformed the South from a Democratic to a Republican stronghold.

I remember the day he was shot very well. I was a child of desegregation, and I remember being surprised by the whole thing. I thought everyone loved George Wallace. I was at little league baseball practice when I heard the news that he had been shot. I recall asking one of my black friends if he had heard and he laughed and said "Yeah, my daddy said somebody bounced a bullet off his head."

I was confused about the reaction, so I asked my mom about it when I got home. She said, "Well you know son, a lot of black folks don't like George Wallace."

There were people who didn't like George Wallace. Who knew?

Kids watched a lot less T.V. back then.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting about Wallace, and I love the photo. I want that truck. Nobody down here in Mexico would care about the license plate. Nor know who he was anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made sure he took a photo of the entire truck, not just the tag. I especially liked the red rims.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was enamored of the red rims.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1968... a friend of mine said, Wallace is going to tour yankeeland, let's follow him and sell some souvenirs. So we bought skimmer hats , pennants, Buttons, etc., that said Vote for Wallace"", "Law & Order" and or had his picture on them. Wallace flew to most places so sometimes we missed him because we were in a car with a utility trailer full of Wallace paraphenalia and it was hard to keep up with him.
    We didn't get rich but psychologically it sure was an interesting journey... everybody hated us... Black Panthers would come by the stand and give us black power salutes, some flaunted blonde girlfriends and said...Ï got yo woman. I looked at her and said, "No, she's not mine, you can have her".
    One Black dude came up and stared at the Wallace hat with his picture on it... He said, "That looks like my ass... My friend (Honest John) said, "No he's white".
    In Kalamazoo Wallaces Road Manager got on the Microphone and said , "Those guys out there selling Wallace buttons are'nt giving any of the money to George."A bunch of Hippies on the court house lawn jumped up and started cheering. He added, Änd they probably have Humphrey buttons on under there coats". The Hippies cheered again.
    The next day or so, the road manager came out with the cops and angrily asked if we had a license to sell.
    Honest John was actually a Wallace supporter and had petitioned people in Tampa to get Wallace on the ballot.
    John was fuming...". Ï thought Wallace was for the working man" he told him. The Cops seemed embarrassed but told us we would have to get away from the main square.
    I really didnt care, I didn't plan on voting for any of these sham politicians. As someone once said..."If voting could change anything they would make it illegal."
    The next day Wallace was in Cicero, Illinois...no blacks showed up.... Mafia town.
    In Indianapolis some blacks threw a bottle of kerosene at us that broke against a back wall...Unlit... I guess the instructions about molotov cocktail making forgot to mention that.
    Sometimes people would come up and tell us they sympathized with George and they were fed up with the lawlessness of the land... A little short fat guy came by and showed me he had a machete hid under his coat..."just in case".
    Finally George started making bigger jumps & we couldn't keep up so we went and made Fairs with Cotton Candy and Candy Apples. Shortly afterwards we heard that Wallace had been shot. It was a year of shootings.. Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King ...known as "Dr. Jr."on the comedy circuit. Then I went to Mexico for the Olympics and Damn! They had a massacre there.
    Looks like the World is in Flames again... keep your heads down boys !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story, Bob.

    He WAS right about a lot of things. We have neither law nor order here now. State's rights are a myth. The Feds use our tax money to tell us what we must do: highways, schools, commerce, religion, etc.

    ReplyDelete