Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Storms

I'm up this morning to find that our computer, television, and other appliances are unplugged from the electrical outlets. I get the coffee started and systematically reconnect to the grid.

Coffee in hand and caffeine beginning to work it's magic, I vaguely remember flipping to the weather channel before heading off to bed last night. Watches and warnings flashing across the bottom of the T.V. screen, Cantore's melodramatic pleas to take precautions, and a particularly nasty looking line of red on the radar.

Big thunderstorms headed our way.

Of course, I don't need the Weather Channel to know this. My little female boxer is terrified of thunderstorms. She can sense their approach several hours before they arrive. She is nervously pacing throughout the evening. Pacing or laying at the Redhead's feet. Or maybe a more accurate description would be she's laying on the Redhead's feet.

I go to bed. I have a rather relaxed view about weather. Storms don't bother me. It shall be what it shall be. Nothing I can do about it. Might as well join Jesus for some quality sleep in the boat. Plenty of others to worry and fret without me.

As I sip my coffee and await daylight, a quick review of television and Internet sites indicate that the storm was a real rip-snorter. Scenes across the South of power lines down, golf ball-sized hail, and trees blown over. A map on the Weather Channel shows how many thousand lightning strikes occurred across our area.

It seems there was a big storm last night after all.

I guess I'll have to take their word for it. It didn't wake me up.

6 comments:

  1. Some storms here, too. But I have always enjoyed watching a good storm. Watching, not chasing.

    Hope all in your area are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun last night to read Facebook comments from Texas to Alabama about the storms. Different times of day and night, people left comments. Many from Louisiana coudn't resist sending phone messages to Facebook that they lost power. My mama slept through it all too. She didn't send me a Facebook message! I called her to see if she was alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're all good. Some people lost power for a while, but I don't think there was any major destruction or loss of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't get that kind of weather event in my part of the world. I wonder why. Maybe it's a lowlands thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cold air from air from Canada pushes south and mixes with warm wet air from the Gulf. The Gulf air is pushed up over the cold air along the frontal boundary, and the resulting low pressure cells suck in the air from the ground. Sometimes the pressure gradient difference is large enough to cause rotation, producing tornadoes, hail, etc.

    Or it could just be a lowlands thing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sleep through earthquakes also... but sometimes I dream about orgasms when they occur ... I don't know if it's the tremors that cause that.... but like you say let the others do the fretting.

    ReplyDelete