Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Rose by any Other Name Would Be--Well, Something Else



We've had some happiness this week. One of my "adopted" Honduran daughters, now married to a fine young man and expecting a baby, had an ultra sound that revealed we will be welcoming a boy in early December. I'm as proud and excited as a grandparent.

They have chosen to name their son "Ethan Jeremiah." I like that. It is a strong, traditional name.

I think naming a child is an important responsibility. Some names give a kid a good start on life. Others can lead to a tough road ahead.

Choosing a name before a baby is even born is no easy task. I remember going through the process with my two sons. Many options were discussed over the nine month wait. In the end, we decided to go with traditional English names. Neither are "juniors", but both have a part of my name as their middle names.

Some people choose to name their children after celebrities or the famous of the day. There are a lot of girls named Hillary, Brittany, and Hannah currently growing up in the U.S.

Many parents in the South look to the Bible as a resources for names. There are number of boys named Elijah, Jacob, and Noah headed for school one day soon.

Here in Alabama, where we've had multiculturalism for about three hundred years, we also have babies with more lyrical names. Names that roll off the tongue but can be hard to spell : Shamika, Loquita, Rosechetta, and Dontarius are a few that come to mind.

I am reminded of a story I heard this week about a name choice. The man who relayed the story told it as Gospel truth. He has a very serious, matter-of-fact personality--never tells jokes, so I assume it is legitimate.

Seems his wife knows a nurse who works in a hospital in a west Georgia town. The nurse took the birth certificate form to a young mother to be completed. When it was returned, she glanced at the information and did a double take. She asked the young mother if she was sure she had completed the form correctly. The mother said "yes".

She took the form to the nurses station where she showed it to the other nurses. They decided there must be a mistake.

She returned to the room and questioned the mother again. "Are you sure you want to name your son this?"

"Yes," the mother said.

"Are you sure you want to spell it this way?"

"Yes," the mother said. "My baby's name is 'Shytheed'."

At least that's the way it was pronounced. Unfortunately, it was spelled "Shithead."

Poor lady must have learned to read with "Hooked on Phonics."

I bet this child is going to have more problems than Johnny Cash's Boy Named Sue.

Good luck, kid. You're gonna need it.

5 comments:

  1. I assume you (or your friend) are pulling our legs with the Shithead.

    It´s unfortunate that blacks are so intent on announcing their race with the names they so often choose. I prefer Robert, John and Sam myself. I wish I had been named Sam. These are not race-based names though some might argue that they are. I disagree. I cite President Charles Taylor of Liberia.

    Unisex names are dreadful and every parent who goes that route should be shot. One´s gender should be immediately obvious on hearing one´s name. Unisex names are child abuse. No one should be named Robin, especially a boy.

    Congratulations of becoming a grandfather, of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be a joke, but I am assuming the guy was telling a true story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a student at Jacksonville State University I worked in the housing office and I actually saw a name on the enrollment form that cracked me up. It was: Clorox White.

    Completely off topic but something that I know you will love -- On the housing application next to the space where the applicant was to indicate their gender it said SEX_________. The girl who was applying said, "Once on White's Gap Road." I thought the Dean of Women, the Dean of Men and I were going to have to have some oxygen. We were laughing so hard we could not get our breath!

    I love your blog. I may not comment every time but, I love it! Blessings!

    By the way - I would love to be a fly on the wall when your mother reads this one! Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray... it could be true.. I used to work at Fairs and I had a friend who ran a hat stand... He would write the persons name on a hat if they wished. He said, one day a lady came up and got her daughter a hat. "Do you want a name on it?"
    Yes...
    What's her name?
    FEE MOLLY...
    HMMM.. thats a strange name...
    Well I didnt name her ...some Mexican dr. named her in the hospital in Laredo...When I woke up she had her name on a wrist bracelet...
    OK, could you write it down?...
    She scribbled it on a piece of paper...it said...
    Female !!!
    After ROOTS came out on TV my friend had to put a sign up that said: No names with more than ten letters!! People would come up and ask for names like Kumbiawallawallagoomba which meant "the lion sleeps in the tall grass of the African Veldt" (I'm making that up but you get the idea).
    Then there are people who think its funny to name their kid..."Benedict Arnold...or...Hitler..or Superman"..etc. leaving the kid mentally scarred and ostracised for the rest of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim: Great stories, especially "White's Gap Road." Glad you enjoy the blog--I appreciate you reading. Let's get together for lunch one day.

    Mystic: People do strange things. There was a "Snow White" and a "Donald Duck" in my home town.

    ReplyDelete