Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Confessions of a Napper

I have a confession to make: I like naps.

I make this admission knowing full well that I will likely suffer innumerable taunts and severe personal consequences from my readers (all ten of you, not counting mom). American society does not look favorably on napping, unless of course you are under the age of five. We are a culture of go-go-go, all out, all the time--until you grab that fabled brass ring you've been told you must have, or settle under a nice piece of sod with a granite stone at Forest Lawn.

Naps are certainly not viewed as "manly." I feel obliged to defend my considerable testosterone levels.

I have spent a great deal of my life proving I am a "man's man." I've smashed baseballs with the boys of Summer and survived August two-a-day football practices. I've run a marathon. I graduated Officer Candidate School in the Marine Corps, one of about 25 in a platoon that began with 75. I've hiked through more woods than Lewis and Clark, and I've ordered that forests be cleared and re-planted. I've hunted and killed woodland animals and put their glassy-eyed heads on my den wall. I've fathered two children, both strong, good-looking manly-types like me. I've persevered through years of droughts, floods, hot, cold, and economic recessions. And although I've never hit a woman, I once gave the idea some serious consideration.

But I am a man who likes a little nap. About an hour does the trick. Anything over an hour and fifteen minutes is just plain wrong. Even nappers must have standards.

I attribute my affinity with naps to my daily schedule over the last twenty years. Foresters, farmers, and milkmen (before they became extinct) believe that they must awaken before sunrise to be effective. After only a few years of this, predawn awakening becomes habit. We can't help ourselves. Weekends, holidays, and other "sleep in" occasions are wasted. The sun's coming up, it's time to get up. Under such circumstances, naps are vital. If there is no opportunity for a nap, bedtime can come pretty early.

Trust me. I have never seen the end of a Monday Night Football game.

I do not share this affliction with the rest of my family. They are people of the night. My oldest son, who chose a normal profession in retail sales, once had to be at work at 6:00 a.m. to take inventory at his store. He came down the stairs at 5:30 and found me fully dressed and enjoying my second cup of coffee. "What are you doing up at this ungodly hour?", he said.

Either I've been real quiet for the last twenty years, or he's a heavy sleeper.

I believe society's negative outlook on naps is unfounded. A lot of great men were nap-takers.

General Patton took naps. When he missed his, he would often slap a Private.

Alexander the Great was only "Alexander the Ordinary" when he missed his daily nap.

And I won't even go into what happened to Napoleon the day he missed his nap. Look it up in the history books.

Perhaps the most famous nap in history is recorded in the Bible, Mark 4:38. Jesus and his disciples were in a boat crossing the Sea of Galilee when a storm came up. Jesus had been through a long day of miracles and preaching. He was taking a nap.

I imagine the scene unfolded something like this:

Peter: "Hey, it's getting rougher by the minute. Wake up the Master."
John: "I'm not waking Him up, you wake Him up."
Peter: "Well, I'm not waking him up. Why should I always be the one to do the talking."
James: "Well, somebody better wake Him up, we're sinking here."

Jesus got up and very patiently calmed the storm.

To me, His reaction to having his nap interrupted is as much a miracle as the quieted storm. How was it possible to remain sinless in such a situation?

My reaction would have been "HELLO?! Here's me taking a nap. What part of 'I'm going to take my nap now' did you not understand? Do you think that you guys could show a little consideration here?"

I'm going to take a little nap now. All this writing has worn me out.

14 comments:

  1. I love to take naps. When I was a kid we would all go to church on Sunday morning and when we came home we would read the funny papers while my Ma cooked a nice big Sunday lunch...meat and potatoes and everything that goes with it. Then we would help her clean up and do the dishes and then everyone would take a nice afternoon nap. Mmmm...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nap is something very special. One of the best men I ever knew took afternoon naps, too.
    You forget to list breadmen! Anyway, a nap is a good thing, and anyone who disparges a nice nap (with rules, like yours) is very misinformed....and probably grouchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should have written this. I just got up from a nap. Just over an hour.

    A marathon? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your writing. I'm glad you like naps and enjoy them. When I was growing up mother and daddy always took Sunday afternoon naps and I HATED them. I usually ended up going to FBC and playing the piano and/or organ. Never have liked naps and if I ever take one, it usually interferes with my night's sleep.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've inherited the love for the nap. But I still would rather go to bed at 5 am than wake up from bed at 5 am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You inherited the former from me, the latter from your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ray... Your right, I sometimes nap, usually on the bus from Tlaxcala to Puebla, it takes an hour. But aside from that, your also correct that naps are considered unmanly... it was mentioned in "Gone With The Wind", The ladies had to take a nap so they wouldn't "swoon", meanwhile the men retired to the parlor to smoke cheroots and discuss secession and the like. Why did the ladies take daily naps?? Because they were menstruating...(we can say things like that these days as it's not so delicate to mention, we can even talk about erectile dysfunction, although I really don't think its good dinner conversation).
    So while Miss Scarlett slept, Rhett smoked a Havanaand contemplared contraband running. Napping can have a dangerous side.
    It cost General Santa Ana almost half of Mexico for taking a nap at San Jacinto, (now Houston). But to hell with what prople think, if I feel like one, I'll take one...(that's Macho).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...I forgot to mention..we call that a siesta in Mexico....
    Now I'm curious, what naughty things did Laurie and Becky C. write to get them removed???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now Bob, if I told you that, I might as well have left them out there.

    Nothing naughty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What happened to the "Early to bed, early to rise" thingy? Weren't we suppose to be getting "wealthy and wise"??? My bet is the wealthy just think it's wise to stay in bed...Nap on, buddy, nap on!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, that wealthy and wise thing hasn't worked out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sure it did, Ray, but in your case it is "wordy" (or maybe "woody") and wise :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete