Thursday, August 19, 2010

Brett's Back

This news just in: Brett Favre is coming back for another season as the quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings.

I'm a big fan of Favre. As a forty-something year old man who has to put two feet on the floor every morning, often with the aid of performance-enhancing drugs (Ibuprofen), I admire the fact that he can still play a violent game six months out of the year.

Last year was statistically his best season ever, and I hope he is able to top those numbers this year.

But the media speculation concerning whether or not Brett will come back each season is tiresome. Largely created by ESPN, it is almost a daily story from the end of one football season to the next.

The reports are endless (and mindless):

"Brett was spotted riding his four-wheeler in Mississippi yesterday. Our sources indicate this means he's not coming back."

"Brett was seen tossing a football to a twelve year old outside Walmart in Pascagoula--a sure sign he's coming back."

"Michael Irving just 'twittered' that he believes Brett is not coming back."

This goes on ad nauseam for six months.

I believe there is a pattern in Brett's behavior that suggests the real reason for the delay in "making his decision to return" each year. Quite simply, he doesn't want to go through training camp.

He doesn't like to practice.

And why should he? Football practice is not fun, and Brett has nothing to prove (or to gain) by practicing. He can get ready to play in a couple of weeks. He's proven that over the last five years.

It's practice. Kind of reminds me of one of my favorite sports interviews of all time.



Just in case you missed Allen's point: "It's practice."

Good luck Brett.

4 comments:

  1. I like Brett Faahhv-ruuh

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnpmBlQkJ-4

    ReplyDelete
  2. SaylinGurl, rest assured I am a proud member of the "Who Dat" Nation. Need evidence?

    http://rayclifton.blogspot.com/2009/12/let-saints-march-on.html

    Please note that I said I hoped Brett put up good numbers--not that I hoped he would win the big one.

    Geaux Saints!

    ReplyDelete