Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Head South


I've had numerous comments about a previous post concerning a possible motorcycle ride south, through Mexico and beyond. With one exception ( sweet Jennifer, my friend and fellow day dreamer), all have been against the idea. Perhaps this is what makes the idea so appealing. I'm funny that way.

The reasons against such a ride are numerous.

My Mexican friend Felipe Zapata points out that the Mexican highways are dangerous. Traffic laws are often ignored, and drivers are reckless. Accidents are frequent and often deadly.

My Honduran friend Laurie simply says "don't do it."

One person even asked "What will you do when it rains?" My response: "Get wet."

Of course, most people point out that robbers, narcos, and other bandits are the main concern. I have given that some thought. That's a danger here in the U.S., too, though.

I have questioned anyone I have encountered who has ever made the journey. My most enlightening conversation came from a Honduran cab driver who claimed to have made the trip from Tegucigalpa to New York City (as a truck driver) many times. I asked if I should worry about "banditos" in Mexico? He laughed. "No" he said. "Worry about la policia."

People who really know me often point out that their main concern is that I don't know enough Spanish. I'll admit my Spanish is pretty basic, to say the least, and I need to know a lot more to be able to function in a Spanish-speaking country. But I believe I know enough key phrases to get by on a motorcycle adventure:

"No tengo dinero." (I don't have any money.)
"Tengo hambre." (I'm hungry.)
"Donde esta la gasolinera?" (Where is the gas station?)
"Neccesito el medico." (I need a doctor)

And just in case, "No me muerte." (Don't kill me).

That ought to just about cover it.

7 comments:

  1. Laurie again says, "don't do it." I drove twice as far as Guadalajara. I won't do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray,
    Do-able but don't take the need for Spanish lightly. Someone in your "group" should be fluent. Definitely don't go alone, and never, ever drive at night. Have fun though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray, there are groups that do trips down to all points in Mexico out of Arizona. Try that. I know the road we travel between Nogales to Puerto Vallarta is all good. It is a toll raod, so 90% of it is nice 2 lane freeway. Good pavement to boot. I wouldnt take my cruiser down, but if I one day get my dream bike (a BMW ST) I wouldnt hesitate a moment in taking it SOB. Oh, and Felipe is going to spank you if he sees you used his name in your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie: You are a true friend. Also a buzz killer :)

    Bob: I have miles to go on my Spanish. Just an attempt at humor. I can get by at an orphanage, but not on the "mean streets."

    Chrissy y Keith: Thanks for the tip about the groups. I've followed lots of blogs about the Pan Am, so I know it can be done safely. Good luck on the dream Beemer. I gave up on that one and settled for a Kawasaki KLR 650. Also thanks for the head's up on Felipe as to my indiscretion. He HAD seen it, but was too much of a gentleman to chew me out. I have it fixed now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, the KLR is great for touring. I have a Yamaha Vstar 650 and it really is too slow for me. I want a nice touring bike, but the seat heights are all over 29 inches. The BMW can be ordered with a lwoer seat, but you compremise the comfort and no seat heater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the seats are high. I grew up riding dirt bikes, so I like the feel of it. But I can see where there would be issues with a shorter riders or those who are used to riding cruisers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1.- don't drive at night...you could hit a cow.
    2.- use toll roads as much as possible.
    3.- travel with a companion.
    4. bring a phrase book & pocket dictionary.
    5. Stop at Bobs (mexicomystics) house when
    you reach Tlaxcala.

    ReplyDelete