Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The World Cup

Is it just me?

Surely millions of world citizens can't be wrong, can they?

I'm talking about the just completed World Cup soccer championship. I watched some of the matches this year on television, including most of the championship game.

My assessment? Like watching paint dry. Like watching grass grow. Like watching water freeze.

Please don't tell me that I'm just a North American and I don't understand the rules of the game or the intricacies of the sport. I understand them just fine, thank you.

Please don't tell me that it's the most popular sport in the world and therefore I'm unenlightened. Poverty is very common most places in the world, but I'm not going to become a fan of that either.

I do admire the skills that the great teams and players possess. They do things with their feet that I can't do. The passing and ball movement on the really good teams is remarkable (I do not include the U.S. in the list of great teams). I admire the athleticism. But hours of playing with no score (and on occasion, actually finally scoring and the goal being taken away, as it was in Great Britain's match)? Please world citizens, rethink your game.

Lose the overtime (or extra time, as it is properly termed). Lighten up on the offside rule so somebody can actually score a goal every now and then. Play sixty minutes and go directly to the one on one player versus goal keeper kicks--now that's worth watching. Too bad I've hung myself long before that ever happens in a game.

My verdict: fun to play, murder to watch.

And I couldn't even get a decent nap with those stupid horns blowing. I kept dreaming about giant bees.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you Ray. Try as I might I just can't get into it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray, you are so right. I had never in my life seen a soccer game unless it was on some public TV as I walked by. But my wife was quite interested in the World Cup (until Mexico tossed in the towels and headed home), so out of curiosity I sat down and watched for a good while. Watching water boil does not begin to describe it. It´s like watching a small herd of ants run around in circles on the grass.

    The popularity of this game speaks poorly of the human race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Senor Felipe, the last sentence of your comment is better than my post. Perhaps a little harsh, but extremely funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a late reply but here goes...
    In Mexico it must be an inherited genetic thing...At the Cantona Archeological zone they have thus far uncovered more than 25 ball fields. Of course it was played a little different from soccer... They had ritualistic games in which the winners would have their hearts torn out with an obsidian knife...now you-d think that would make a person try to LOSE the game...but back then *about the year 1200 AD(, it was considered a great honor to have your heart ripped out. In fact it bestowed almost A title of Deity upon the person.
    They also had another social type ballgame in which , like soccer the ball could only be kicked, hit with hips or head ^ knocked through a stone ring on the side of a wall.
    Not an easy thing to do, but if a player made a goal, all the spectaters would jump up and start running... And the player who scored the goal would chase them. Whoever he caught had to give him all there earthly possessions.
    That pretty much made Fandom a dangerous occupation...
    Honey, I went to see a ballgame and now we have to move out of the house...naked!!!
    That would probably tick off the old lady. Worse than coming home drunk at 3 in the morning.
    That said, some friends asked if I would be watching the World Cup. Actually they asked if I was watching the W.C. *on the net(.
    I told them watching Water Closets wasn[t something I was up to.
    If they would play soccer with machetes I would watch it...otherwise you can find me at the beach with a Coco Loco and watching bikinis.

    ReplyDelete