Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dog Days

"Rooster, I'm shot to pieces." Robert Duvall, in True Grit

Last year I wrote about the "Dog Days of Summer." You can read those musings here.

The Dog Days are pretty intense this year. The heat and the lack of rain we've had in central Alabama is making it pretty tough on the animal kingdom.

I know the Dog Days are proving difficult for me. A few days ago, I wrote a piece about my backyard encounter with a yellow jacket nest. Since then, I've had two more encounters with yellow jackets in the woods. That's three angry nests in five days.

If you are keeping score, that's YELLOW JACKETS 16, CLIFTON 0.

Hurry Fall. I'm shot to pieces.

4 comments:

  1. That picture makes me hurt.Yellow jackets are just mean and angry even when you are nice. I know people like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heat and lack of rain? I got so much rain I´m mushy, and the air is cool and refreshing.

    And I´ve seen nary one yellow jacket in over a decade.

    ReplyDelete