Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Omega Project: An Update

I realize that many of you have been losing sleep, worrying about the status of the "Omega Project."  I figured it might be time for a visual update, since I feel a great deal of responsibility for the mental health and well-being of the approximately twelve of you who actually read this blog (by the way "Hi mom, love you, talk to you soon.")

We are about six weeks in now, and it appears that we are having moderate success.

Here's the genesis:

And here is where we are today:

The only failure thus far was my two short rows of corn, of which only two stalks have emerged.  Evidence suggests that the plants sprouted and were promptly plucked-up and devoured.  I suspicioned (good southern word, that--not used enough) squirrels, but my mother-in-law is adamant that crows are the culprits.

At this point in the Project, I have learned three things:
1. My beds are not deep enough.  If you follow the guides and use six inches of soil, plan to water every day--twice a day in Alabama sun.
2. Plant early.  If I was depending on this thing to eat, I'd be foraging and killing squirrels to survive.
3. I can grow some decent-looking herbs.

 But then again, I've been told that any dang fool can grow herbs.

Stay tuned...

5 comments:

  1. I woke up last night about 2 a.m. wondering about this. I'm much more at ease now, seeing the progress, and it does like good for a greenhorn effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father could grow anything he stuck in the dirt, but especially wonderful were the juicy, fat, Big-Boy tomatoes that grew next to the screened porch. I, while a pretty knowledgeable and competent landscape-type gardener, have been able to grow nada that is edible (other than herbs), especially tomatoes. They hate me. Tried 'em in pots, sun, less sun, water, less water, and on and on. I gave up and now settle occasionally for the noxious pale pink orbs that are sold as 'tomatoes' in the grocery. And no, not any dang fool can grow all herbs. Any dang fool can grow rosemary if you don't overwater. Abuse it. I did have fairly good luck growing herbs in TX, but most of them do not like the icky humid air in MS. I applaud your efforts. Your marigolds look lovely. Like you, I would starve if left to grow food for myself. Being vegetarian, I would be left with roots and berries and end up poisoning myself. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Felipe, we have suffered from insomnia here in N AL worrying about this effort (yawn). Herbs are just weeds that somebody thought smelled good. Hate to break your happy bubble, but not sure yore mama actually reads this, Ray, since she never leaves a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4.  I have to admit, it's been fun Syd.  Thanks for the encouragement.

    My mother-in-law is like your dad was--can grow anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5.  Ray, crows...I watched them get mine.  I now have replanted and have 6" high corn....everyone else up this way is already tasseling.  6" of soil works better up here where we have some clay.  If you filled that with potting soil, you will have to water it twice a day.  My beds are surrounded by cross ties.  I tilled up the ground underneath as far as I could, then filled it to the top with top soil....scraped from what became my driveway. 

    ReplyDelete