Friday, February 25, 2011

A Loss


There are times when the words stay trapped inside. I have found no magic to coax them out into print today. Perhaps they need the passage of time to age and mellow.

I have a heavy heart as I think of my family in Nashville and Birmingham.

The world lost a great man yesterday.

He was not a man that you will find in the history books or the headlines. Just a simple man with simple pleasures. A man who worked hard, took care of his family, and lived his life with a quiet dignity.

Rest in peace, Uncle Jimmy. You were one of the finest men I knew.

You may read more about him here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, my friend. Sad day. He was a very fine man, and he will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was a very hard day for my family and me, its been a few months since I have seen my Uncle Jimmy but, I could never forget how special he always made me feel, I always thought he was fond of me but, I realized today he was fond of everyone he knew and made us all feel special. It was his calling in life to change a bad or sad day for anyone around him. I remember oneday a few months back he told me the story of how he met Aunt Jenny and how he was instantly in love with her but, he was in PC Fl in the Air Force and she lived in Sylacauga, Al and was only in PC Fl for a vacation but, he found a way to see her every weekend he bought a motorcycle and drove to see her, he did say however it was a "hell" of a ride back to base late in a Sunday night back in those days. Even though he had trouble walking he got up from the table where we were talking and didnt say a word, a few minutes later he brought me a picture of Aunt Jenny, she was on the beach in a yellow bathing suit which he called a bikini and said " isnt she the prettiest thing". I will never forget this story or the others he talked about that day. My uncle was full of love for his wife and family, I have only known one other man like him and it was my own Dad, I will miss you Uncle Jimmy but, I will never forget you. Lorrie

    ReplyDelete