Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cobwebs


Took a quick ride on the bike this afternoon. Didn't venture too far from home. Still a little on the cool side for a long road trip. But both the bike and I needed a recharge. The bike needs to be ridden to keep the battery charged. I need to ride to keep my battery charged.

Motorcycling on back roads is a great way to clear my mind. The vibration of the engine, the feel of the rough asphalt under tires, and the roar of the wind through the helmet. Farms and woods fly by in a blur of color and texture. This is my meditation, my emptying of mental garbage that will hopefully lead to focus on the needful things.

I guess you could say that it cleans out the cobwebs of a mind that is too busy sometimes.

What is a cob anyway, and why does it build a web?

There I go again.

6 comments:

  1. I have neither bicycle nor motorcycle, though I've had both in the past many times. I wish I had a motorcycle now.

    You are right. It's good for clearing the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew some dadgum yankee would feel compelled to explain the term :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think a man that once owned a Norton would never be without a motorcycle of some kind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two Nortons, Harley, Gold Wing, BSA, Triumph, little Yamaha, you name it. In part, I got too old, but more importantly is that motorcycling (driving of any kind) is a perilous proposition in Mexico. I'm enjoying life too much now to stick my neck out unnecessarily. I'd get a bicycle if the streets in my neck of the woods were not so full of holes and lacking of sidewalks. Life moves on. On occasion, I get to relive those days through you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Jeep, too, Tim. You'll enjoy it this spring and fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well... the yankees wrong..... it comes from...
    Middle English coppeweb : coppe, spider (short for attercoppe, from Old English ttercoppe : tor, poison + copp, head) + web, web;
    Anyway... I hate spiders.. I was once bit by a black widow and it sure wasnt enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete