Wednesday, November 24, 2010

About the Blog


I've been blogging for a little over two years now.

It's been an experience that I've really enjoyed. It's allowed me to make new friends over the Internet and reconnect with old friends that I haven't heard from in years. I'd have to say it's been worth the experience just for that benefit alone.

I've managed to attract a small but apparently loyal group of readers, and for that, I'm thankful. Your kind comments have encouraged me to work harder to be a better writer. I have a ways to go (a little Southern expression, that), but I'll keep working as long as you keep reading.

I try to write about things that interest me and hopefully will interest you. In some cases we "connect"; other times we don't. I'm often surprised by the posts readers appear to like, and some that I think are really good work that fall totally flat.

At this point, I do feel the need to clarify an apparent misconception about the blog. I think some readers have figured this out, while others haven't quite caught on.

I consider myself a writer and not a journalist. The distinction is subtle, but one that needs to be understood.

A journalist (by my definition) should stick to the facts. He or she sees, questions, and reports. Such writing should be classified as "non-fiction."

A writer, on the other hand, crafts a story. It may be fiction or non-fiction, or a combination of both.

My writing is a combination of both, sometimes in a single post. I write some things that are true stories in a journalistic fashion, and I write some things that are based on real people and events, but they have been "spiced up" a bit in an attempt to write a better story.

What I'm telling you is this: "This ain't no personal diary." It is written for enjoyment--hopefully mine and yours. So if I write about the expectations of high school reunions or heading down to Mexico on a motorcycle or having the blues on Sundays, don't read too much into it about me personally. The writer is not the story--the story is the story.

Some of what I write is straight from my heart. Some of it is not.

I hope you will continue reading and maybe we can figure out which is which--together.

4 comments:

  1. Straight from the heart or straight from your imagination, just keep it up. You've got a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you don´t really get the blues on Sunday?! I remember when I was a little boy, long, long ago, visiting my paternal grandparents (this was never a problem with the maternal grandparents). Father´s folks were hardcore church-goers. Granddaddy was a Baptist deacon.

    So when visiting them, going to church on Sunday was a given. I never had to do that at home. Didn´t like it either. So Sundays with them gave me the blues for sure.

    None of which has squat to do with the fact that your blog is an excellent one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I know the guy. He definitely gets the Sunday blues that even church-going doesn't heal.

    ReplyDelete