Friday, April 2, 2010

A Good Friday


It is early morning here--at least as we define morning by our conventions of time. The sun is not up yet, but it will be making its daily appearance in about thirty minutes. Already, though, I hear the soft voice of a mourning dove, sung from it's nightly resting place, an eastern red cedar in my backyard. My two dogs sense the approaching day as well. I hear their restless repositioning in their kennels on my back porch.

Today will likely be a typical Friday. I'll head out in an hour or so to finish another week of work. I may stop off for a Friday breakfast with my friend Barry at a local diner, as I sometimes do. We'll talk about the lousy economy, our families, and our plans for the weekend. We'll complain some about the way things seem headed in our country (and world). But overall, I'd say we are pretty fortunate to be alive in this time and place.

A couple of thousand years ago, this was anything but a typical Friday for the Man from Galilee. It turned out to be a very bad day indeed. His friends and followers abandoned Him, and He was pretty much left to face that terrible day alone. It seems that the world was a screwed up place then, as it is today.

Perhaps he was able to face that Friday because He knew Sunday was coming--and that Sunday would change everything. A new day would dawn, and with it a reason for hope.

I hope this Friday is good for you, wherever you may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment