Saturday, January 30, 2010

She Takes a Hike

A walk in the woods is what I need.
Nature's charms to clear my mind and relieve the stress of modern life.
Happiness is found in the glimpse of a fleeing deer,
white tail waving 'goodbye' as she bounces over the hill top.
God's voice in the shrill of a red-tailed hawk.
Peace in the gurgle of the stream.
I'll follow the direction of the deer,
Hopefully get another glimpse.
What a glorious day for a walk.
Minutes fly by like hours.

I should have bought one of those GPS thingys
that "Outdoor Life" said every hiker needs.
There's that white oak in the hollow.
Isn't that where the deer jumped up?
Maybe I'll just follow the creek downhill to a river,
The river all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.
The beach will be at the Gulf.
That would be nice,
Not as many trees and a better breeze.
Doesn't moss grow only on the north side of the tree,
or does it grow thicker on the north side of the tree?
Maybe it's just the rolling stone that has relevance to moss.
Why do I need to know which way north is anyway?
I'm not going to Canada.
Is there a view of civilization from the top of the ridge,
Or only a view of the next ridge?
Is it safe to drink from this stream?
I'm not really thirsty but I should probably stay hydrated.
Are the bright red berries edible or poisonous?
Am I really hungry enough to eat berries?
Have I been gone long enough to be hungry at all?
I wonder if there are snakes in these woods?
I think it goes "red touch yellow, kill a fellow."
Or maybe it goes "red touch black, you better stay back."
Do squirrels get rabies, and if so, will they attack?
If I'm bit by a rabid squirrel, how long before I start to foam at the mouth?
Do bees hibernate?
If I get stung will I swell like a balloon?
Can't I start a fire by rubbing two sticks together?
What kind of sticks should I use,
pine or hardwood?
Is it really cold enough for a fire, anyway?
Isn't that one of the symptoms of hypothermia,
to not feel cold even though you are cold?
Is it 'Stage One' or 'Stage Two' hypothermia,
this falsehood of warmness?
How many stages before I die?
Maybe I should start that fire now.
If I start a fire will it escape my control and become a forest fire?
That would be embarrassing.
But at least some men would have to come and put it out.
I should have dressed in layers.
Multiple layers--cotton, wool, and Gortex.
What kind of name is Gortex, anyway?
Is it an acronym or simply some inventor's name?

Oh, thank God.
There's my car.

I love a good walk in the woods.
It's so relaxing.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the forest and deer imagery. Got a bit anxious at the end, huh?

    ReplyDelete