Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I just read the "Top Ten New Year's Resolutions" in my local newspaper. Although a source is not cited, I have a feeling they got most of them right for the average person. Included are things like "Start Exercising", "Quit Smoking", and "Lose Weight". These are noble aspirations, but quite frankly a little boring. Although I don't usually make resolutions I'll make a few in the spirit of the season. Here's my list for 2010:

1. I resolve to ride my motorcycle to Honduras.
I bought a motorcycle several months ago and began riding again after twenty-five years (I'll write more about that later).

I have lots of rides planned, including eventually riding south to Honduras and beyond. I'd like to ride the Pan American Highway all the way to the tip of South America. I've yet to talk to anyone who thinks this is a good idea--which makes it all the more appealing.

2. I resolve to write a poem each week; twenty short stories; and a novel.
I started writing again several months ago, also after about a twenty-five year lay off (perhaps motorcycles and writing are somehow linked in my brain). I currently write for me. I hope to eventually write something that someone else would like to read.

3. I resolve to go to Dublin to see a U2 concert.
I don't know if U2 will be playing in Dublin this year. If not, I'll call Bono--I'm sure he will schedule something if he knows I'm coming.

4. I resolve to have lunch with some of the people I'd like to talk with.
This won't be anything real formal, just a laid back lunch. I'm still working on the guest list. I think I'll invite Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Paul Simon, Cormac McCarthy, Rick Bragg, Robert DuVall, Harper Lee, and maybe the Dalai Lama (on that last one, does anybody know if he's allowed to eat barbecue?).

5. I resolve to end all war, hunger, disease.
There will be widespread sunshine and happiness. Hospitals, orphanages, and funeral homes will be closed and boarded-up. I'll admit, this idea isn't original. It's a favorite goal of contestants at beauty contests and politicians seeking votes.

Now I know what you're thinking: "He ain't gonna do all that stuff." And you may be right.

But I'll wager you won't exercise three days a week and lose twenty-five pounds, either.

2 comments:

  1. Well, we'll see about that last wager. If I lose 25 lbs and exercise 3 x a week, you may have to tune up your motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now--sounds like a challenge has been made. 2010 may be an interesting year.

    ReplyDelete