Sunday, July 15, 2012

Omega Update

It's midsummer at the Omega Project--time to make a report.


From the humblest of beginnings, my little garden has survived scorching heat, drought, and a myriad of critters (two-, four-, and six-legged varieties).


This is where we are today.

The yield has included an abundance of herbs, three varieties of peppers, two varieties of tomatoes, squash, and sweet potatoes.

I have learned a few things that I'll pass along:

  1. If you have limited time and space, raised beds are the way to go.  I've had no weeds, and watering is easy and efficient.
  2. Deeper beds are better.  Mine are only four inches deep.  This means that my plants must be watered almost every day in Alabama heat.
  3. There's a whole world of wildlife out there that I know very little about:  insects.
Self-sufficiency?  Hardly.

Could it be done?  Yep.

1 comment:

  1. You may not have attained total self-sufficiency, but you're closer than most of us. Ship me some nice tomatoes, please.

    ReplyDelete