Wednesday, November 23, 2011

On The Road in the Heart of Dixie


My job at the Alabama Forestry Association allows me the opportunity to travel across the state, soaking up the beauty of the countryside and meeting the people who are as much a part of the land as the forests that grow here. It is believed that the name "Alabama" is from the Choctaw tongue and originally meant "thicket clearers." Surprising that things haven't changed all that much here in a few hundred years.

Occasionally I spend the night somewhere on the road, which might prompt you to ask "Forester-poet (well, only a couple of my friends call me this, but I kinda like it) how do you manage to sustain the pace of your rock-n-roll lifestyle?"

Well sometimes it ain't easy.

Working for a non-profit allows me the luxury to wine and dine and stay at the very best hotels. Consider the sign shown in the photo above, posted at the five-star resort I spent the night at a few days ago.

My stay was fine, in spite of the fact that someone had previously jimmied the deadbolt lock out of the door (at least the management had covered the hole).

Maybe if they allowed folks to keep their dogs under the motel things like that wouldn't happen.

Just saying...

1 comment:

  1. So, you are a forester-poet and "an Alabama" to boot. That's fun.

    ReplyDelete