Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Republican Debate



I've written here before that I don't much like politics. Unfortunately, in the last three years I have come to understand that I'm going to have to become more involved. Governments at the local, state, and federal levels have too much control over people's lives in the U.S., and it's time for common people to change that.

I don't listen to a lot of speeches or debates. I end up getting more angry about our current situation if I do. I mostly read what has been written, and analyze what people do--not what they say. I did, however, make myself watch a little of the Republican debate on CNN last night. I was curious about how they might present themselves.

Allow me to give you my impressions.

Ron Paul: A Libertarian who runs as a Republican, this guy is attractive on the surface because I think a lot of Libertarian ideas are great. But Paul is a nut job. He has his moments when he says something brilliant--which he quickly follows with something that is bordering on insanity ("We must cut this unsustainable level of federal spending!"; "I have recently been in touch with the President of Venus, and this is what he says...").

Rick Santorum: Reminds me of the smart kid who lost the spelling bee. "I was the best one there! I thought she said 'remittent,' not 'remittance.' You know that's what happened. Your blue ribbon has no credibility."

Rick Perry: The guy who I originally had high hopes for. He does pretty well until someone asks him a tough question. Then he looks like a Texas deer in the headlights of an eighteen-wheeler.

Newt Gingrich: Probably the most intelligent guy of the lot, but it's hard for me to imagine he'd make a good leader. Maybe a cabinet position, but not President. If your wife can't trust you then why should I?

Mitchell Bachmann: "Will you go to the dance with me?" No. "Will you go to the dance with me?" No. "Will you go to the dance with me?" NO! Leave me alone.

Mitt Romney: "Look at my teeth. Don't I have great hair? I have confidence in me, and you should, too. The people of Massachusetts love my health care plan. Never mind that it bankrupted our state. Have you looked at my hair?"

Bottom line: you put all these in a sack and shake 'em up and dump one out, and it won't make much difference. It's just the same ol' same ol' the Republicans have trotted-out since 1988.

Then there's Herman Cain. He's the only one in the lot who gives specifics. The only one who is not a career politician. The only one who knows what it is like to work, to pay bills, to balance a check book.

I have high hopes for you Mr. Cain. Please don't let me down.

11 comments:

  1. Let us get on our knees and pray for Herman Cain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herman Cain. This is the dummy who wants to electrocute Mexicans with an electric fence... or build a moat all across the border and fill it with alligators. Does that sound sane? I  know ...he backed up like a Georgia mule later and said Americans need a sense of humor.. If elected and he starts shafting everyonehe'll say the same thing then. Heres a guy whose ancetors couldnt do anything but shine shoes 70 years ago... Now he's a bigger bigot that the people who opressed his parents.  Yeh... Les kill some Mesicans... its all dere fault de States is so messed up. UH... they're our 3rd larget trading partner.... Das OK we'z dont need dere money... We can print all we need.
     And No I dont have a suggestion as to who to vote for...theres a problem... all the Candidates are millionaires and dont give a tinkers damn about the general citizenry.
    When they have a lot of bucks they can only think of themselves and getting more. It's the "Me First"party.
    I hope you boys can figger it out.. good luck. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sick of politicians, as is everyone else.  I'd rather have a successful non-politician any day over a smile-in-your-face, phony politician.  Mr. Cain is a good man, not afraid to tell the truth, a man of action, a problem-solver.  He's not a smooth-talker and that sometimes hurts him (though, he's got nothing on Blustering Joe "Don't Screw with Me" Biden, who is, as you know, the Vice President of the USA).

    However, if our nation is hesitant to elect Cain, my next choice of the current contenders is Newt if, for no other reason, it would be absolutely priceless to watch him skewer Obama in the debates.  Maybe I'm leaning Newt/Herman 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray... You're right... shouldnt even get involved in these discussions. Just makes my blood pressure go up. What can you expect from a nation that would reelect Dick Nixon and the Bush Lunatics. There's a saying..."You will get what you deserve". The last decent president we had was Harry Truman. When he left the White House he put his suitcase in his car and he and his wife drove back to Missouri. No fancy Lear Jets .

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I see Mitt Romney, I can't help but wonder about his special Mormon boxers. Does he ever switch to Hanes? Or does he keep those hand made undies on at all times? Weird. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are over your head on this one, my friend--the victim of sound bites from the biased media of the U.S.  Mr. Cain is an honorable man.  The border(s) must be secured.  Only then can this immigration mess be straightened out.  The U.S. must have a fair and reasonable work permit system that won't continue to exploit Mexicans and Central Americans (many of whom are illegal--quite a few are my personal friends).  That is not possible until the borders are secured.

    This will never happen as long as the Democrats think they can grant amnesty to secure more votes.  That is why the immigration laws are not enforced.  Meanwhile, US citizens are harassed and treated like criminals at US airports by our own government.

    If we don't get some leadership soon up here soon we are going to have a conflict that makes that little disturbance in the 1860's look like a picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's the scoop on Romney's drawers?  I'm not hip (no pun intended) to that...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mormons wear special, church sanctioned undies to protect them from evil. Romney admits to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the words are flowing again :)    You may have around 12 more debates to review. Whew!  Love your take on it~

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have your order wrong, Redhead:  Herman/Newt 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Demi character is spamming you, amigo.

    ReplyDelete