Sunday, September 4, 2011

U.G.L.Y., You ain't got no alibi


College football is fairly important in the South.

The first line of an essay is supposed to grab the reader's attention. I thought I'd lead with one that is so ridiculously understated that it is laughable.

College football is life to many in the South. It's what they eat, drink, and sleep 365 days a year. It's our pride--it's what we do better than anyone else. We are consistent in our passion and our excellence. It is our heritage, our tradition, and it's under attack.

First it was last year's news that the University of Mississippi had changed their mascot. I won't preach on that again, you can read it here. Rebel black bears--puh-leeze.

Now we have been subjected to the University of Georgia appearing last night in one of the most hideously ugly uniforms ever to be worn. I don't know how much NIKE paid them to wear that atrocity, but it wasn't enough. Thank God they weren't playing Boise in their all blue uniforms on the blue field--the entire state of Georgia would have been lined-up in emergency rooms getting I.V.'s. Projectile vomiting is no laughing matter.

This is the way it's supposed to be: the red and silver at Georgia; the crimson tide in Tuscaloosa; the navy blue on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains;" yellow, purple and white on the bayou; an orange like no other on Rocky Top; orange and blue in the Swamp.

Even lowly Vanderbilt, who has never really figured out how to play the game, has a tasteful distinctiveness in their dress.

Repent, Georgia. If you can't win, at least look good getting whipped.

7 comments:

  1. Okay, clue me in here. What is wrong with these uniforms? Granted, I'm not a sports guy, to state it mildly, but these look like everybody else's football uniforms to me.

    Vanderbilt was my first, though hardly my last, university straight out of high school. Had I known then that they cared little for throwing balls, running around fields and spitting, I may have stayed and studied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have stayed at Vandy.  You'd probably own half of Mexico by now if you had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, you're gonna make me guess. Is it because the shirt and pants are not different colors? I recall they usually are different colors. Is it because of the one Nike logo I see? Is it because the No. 11 on the model in the photo looks like an electrical outlet? Is it that you simply do not like the color red? Should have more silver?

    By the way, both my parents were UGA grads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My opinion has more to do with tradition than fashion, although I do think that all red is a bad look.

    White or light color is actually a psychological advantage in football--makes you look bigger than you really are.

    Perhaps if you saw 70 or so players all dressed in that uniform at one time you might agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Felipe, they are hideous.  Here's a site with photos and video highlights of last night's game.

    http://www.ajc.com/sports/uga/georgia-fails-another-test-1157568.html

    Compare those to their old uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you ain't really got a good answer. You just don't like dem Bulldogs maybe.

    I'll grant that the solid red is something out of the ordinary. How it looks on the field, I imagine, is akin to a bloodbath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look a bit strange for a football team, but we Georgia Crackers have always marched to a different drummer.

    ReplyDelete