Monday, June 6, 2011

Sunday Ride



Every now and again, a man needs to step away for a while. Take a break from the toils and worries of life. Pick up the broom and knock down the cobwebs in the corners of his mind.

My broom has two wheels. My broom can fly.

I put my motorcycle through the paces yesterday--a 250 mile loop through the rolling hills of central Alabama.

I have had uncertain thoughts about her lately. Maybe she is not the one for me. She isn't the biggest or most powerful thing on two wheels. She doesn't have the prestige of the big Harley cruisers, or the sheer raw power of the Japanese sport bikes. Maybe she isn't big enough, powerful enough, to go the places I want to go and see the things I want to see.

Yesterday she proved me wrong.

She easily handled five hours of 95 degree heat, up and down mountain roads, with nary a hiccup. We even shared the simple pleasure of dusting a few big Harley cruisers on the way up to the top and then back down Mount Cheaha, Alabama's highest point. Big boys couldn't keep up with my little girl. She is nimble. She is lithe. She is quick.

Cobwebs cleared. Confidence restored.

And not a bad view from the top.

7 comments:

  1. Glad you returned to your first love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean when you talk about "knock down the cobwebs".  My husband and I used to ride and there is nothing like it.  I miss those days.  I have a few cobwebs that I need to get rid of. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like it, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my FIRST love.  That would be a Suzuki 90.  Next a 76 Triumph Bonneville.

    My third love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nimble's good.  Lithe is better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bonnies look nice. I LOVE my Sprint. But
     I know our relationship will be shortened only by my ability. She will long outlive my skills to keep up with her.

    ReplyDelete