Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Age Has Its Privileges

Part of the Christmas season is that church services tend to run a bit long. Christmas music by choirs and ensembles, lighting of Advent candles, and other holiday traditions can stretch the usual Baptist hour into something a little longer.

Makes it hard to beat the dad gum Methodists to the Sunday buffet.

We were talking about this the other day, and the Redhead mentioned a special lady from our hometown church years ago. I had almost forgotten dear old Mrs. Looney.

Mrs. Looney was a fixture at our church. It was a church of about 150 members, so most people knew each other. I doubt she ever missed a Sunday service during my childhood there.

Mrs. Looney sat on the left side of the sanctuary, first seat on the second row. She sat there every Sunday for, oh I don't know, something like a hundred years. If someone came in early and took that seat (even a new visitor), Mrs. Looney would inform them that they were "in her seat." And they would move--period. I know most modern church-goers would be horrified by such an action. But I remember it with a smile. Old age has its privileges. They are earned.

Mrs. Looney also believed in schedules. If a service began to go long, she knew how to deal with it. At noon, when the service was supposed to end, her car keys came out of her purse, and I can assure you that they did not come out discreetly. It was a signal to the preacher--wrap it up old hoss, I've got places to go and things to do.

There are a lot of Sundays I miss you, Mrs. Looney. The fried chicken is getting cold.

5 comments:

  1. Yup. I liked growing up Methodist. We started and ended on time. Mainly to beat the Baptists to the Piccadilly Cafeteria. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlike you and Ms. Matherne, I didn't grow up anything, but I do like fried chicken, which I have not eaten in, literally, years.

    I like Mrs. Looney too. Nice.

    Deck the Halls, and Season's Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember her vividly. She also rattled candy paper was she unwrapped it. I guess you know one of the stained glass windows was for her husband Charlie Looney. Did you all get the privilege of having Mrs. Looney for algebra? She was a tough one but she liked us and even came to our 20th class reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie: Didn't have a Piccadilly in my little town, but had one in college. Good eats.

    Felipe: I know you take good care of yourself. But come on man, life just ain't worth living without fried chicken. Indulge every now and then.

    cpw: I think Mrs. Looney had already retired before I made it to algebra. I think I would have been intimidated in her class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Mrs. Looney well. Every time I visit First Baptist, it still seems like she should be sitting in her spot.

    ReplyDelete