Monday, September 6, 2010

Reader Poll

I've been blogging for a little over two years now, and I have a confession to make: I have no idea what you, dear reader, like to read.

The blog software I use has an analytical feature that allows me to review such things as how many times each post is read, and where my readers live. I'd like to be able to say that this is a helpful tool, but it's not. It's baffling.

Sometimes I spend several hours writing and rewriting a post. When I finally finish, I think "Hey, this ain't too bad." Then I post it and get no reaction.

Other times I sit down for about ten minutes and fire off something that I consider to be "fluff"--literary bubble gum. And I am shocked at the positive response.

So I've decided to take a poll. If you have a second, think about what you've read here and give me some input.

Finish this sentence: "I'd like Ray to _________."
  • Write little humorous stories.
  • Write about people and places in Alabama.
  • Write more of those brooding metaphorical pieces.
  • Write more poems and songs.
  • Get a new hobby.
  • Write about politics and other current events.
  • Ride his motorcycle off into the sunset, never to be heard from again.
The results will be tabulated on the upper right corner of the sidebar. The poll will run all week.

As always, thanks for reading.

12 comments:

  1. SHHHH. It is true. People like inane, superficial stuff. But heavy stuff is needed, too. Secretly they like it too. It's like a good preacher who balances a few banal comments, loosens you up, and than whaps you upside the head with a good volley. Keep writing. You're good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think the classics were written by men (and some women) who started off with: I wonder what folks want to read? Of course not. They wrote what moved them. I recommend that course to you.

    For that reason, I´m voting that you ride off into the sunset. Not that I feel that way. It´s just a protest vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I tip my hat to the two master bloggers above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the above. I would like to read some humorous, motorcycle riding off into the sunset south of the border stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray,
    I would like you to keep on writing about whatever is on your mind no matter if you get responses or not. You are a good writer and you will get even better as you get older. Write for yourself and for the sake of writing. Those of us who like your style will keep on reading whatever you write no matter what. It is the sincerity that springs from your writing like clean fresh cold water that counts the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind words Bob.

    Chrissy, down South is always on my mind. I know it is for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ray, I have just recently started following your blog, (excuse me Senor Zapata, 'online journal') so I'm not sure that I am qualified to give my input to so formal a poll. Simply put, I will tell you what I would like to hear: You write extremely well and I enjoy reading your posts. As a lifelong Southerner, I like the voice and sense of place you bring to your writing. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Sydney. I appreciate your kind words--and your taking the time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ray - can you make your fancy-schmancy poll-o-meter accept more than one vote? You have four faithful readers here at our house but we all use the same account - so I feel like we deserve at least 4 votes. PLUS if there's anyone else like me, choosing only ONE answer is kind of stressful when I'd really like to have a top 3. or 5. OR if you could at least have an "all of the above" or "numbers 1,2,3,4,&6."
    'cause that's what we'd choose, except Ivey just said she wants you to ride off into the sunset and fill up your notebook. K? was that helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Ray-
    I like reading whatever you write because it reminds me of home. Don't change a thing.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  11. How come we have seven people commenting, but only five votes?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only one vote allowed from one computer! Boo!!! I gotta find you a better voting-thingy!

    ReplyDelete