Thursday, June 3, 2010

Immigration (Part I)

I have something to say about the Immigration issue. It's a hot topic, and I might as well put my two cents worth in the mix. You know, "freedom of speech" and all that stuff. I might as well use it while it's still available here in the good Ol' U.S.A.

I would wager that most readers of this blog would guess that I am sympathetic to the cause of illegal aliens in the U.S. because of my many trips to Honduras and all my Hispanic friends. That would be correct--to a point. But only to a point. It is true that I am sympathetic to illegal aliens as people--as human beings caught in a difficult situation.

I see illegal immigration as a problem created by politicians on both sides of borders, but primarily on this side. I believe Hispanic immigrants are being used as pawns on a chessboard to further personal and Party political agendas. And it stinks to high heaven. It is wrong any way you want to look at it.

To quote a President from long ago "Let me make this perfectly clear": I believe the United States is a sovereign nation with the right (and obligation) to secure her borders. Her borders are not secure. Not on the South, and not on the North. These are dangerous times and the country has many enemies. The U.S. should restrict and monitor who is allowed into the country, like every other developed nation on earth.

I also believe that Arizona is a sovereign State within the U.S. with a right to secure her borders. I'm not sure that they are going about it the right way, but I don't live there so I really don't have a legitimate right to object. I believe Arizona's measures are a frustrated response to the lack of leadership from the Federal government in dealing with what should be a federal issue.

Illegal immigration has been ongoing now for over twenty years. Bush I did nothing. Clinton did nothing. Bush II did nothing. Obama has done nothing. All these presidents, all these congressmen and woman, all these senators, during all these years--did NOTHING.

I believe there are two reasons nothing is done.

First and foremost, politicians are too busy trying to retain and strengthen their power. Politicians in he U.S function by pointing fingers and pitting one group against another as standard operating procedure. Right against Left. Black against white. White against Hispanic. Rich against poor. Worker against corporation. Urban against rural. The Far Left and the Far Right vie for the hearts and minds of the majority middle. Individuals and people groups are stereotyped and used in this "game."

Second, cheap labor provided by illegals is an integral part of the U.S. economy. Immigrants are doing the jobs that North Americans will no longer do: construction, landscaping, farm labor, forestry, janitorial, etc. The U.S. has become dependent on this cheap labor. Don't kid yourself, it touches every household in some way, from the groceries you put on the table to the very house you live in.

It's quite ironic. Some of the most vocal critics of illegal immigration are reaping the benefits of their labor. This nation is attempting to be a pimp and a prostitute at the same time. You can't have it both ways.

So what can be done about this problem at this late stage of the game?

First, the U.S. could close the borders, South and North. I am not an advocate of building walls and fences, but if that's what it takes, do it. Don't give me the argument that walls don't work. They work quite well. One in Berlin was very effective for a long, long time. One in Korea works great (both of these were used for keeping people in, but that doesn't matter, does it?. "In", "out", what's the difference?). A nation who once cheered "Tear down that wall" can easily switch to "Build up that wall." President Obama could even ask for advice from "The Great Leader" Kim Jong on how to construct and maintain the wall. It would be great public relations in our new spirit of dialogue and cooperation with our avowed enemies.

"But Ray" you say, "wouldn't this be terribly expensive?" Yes it would. But it wouldn't necessarily require tax dollars. With the corporate penchant for sponsoring everything in exchange for naming rights, there is real opportunity to get a large portion of the wall paid for. Can't you just see the "Capital One Fence at El Paso", or the "Banc of America Moat at Albuquerque?"

Second (and most important), simplify the permit process and register those who want to come to the U.S. to work. Allow those who are already here an opportunity to participate in the registration process. As a part of this process, allow those who play by the rules a fair path to citizenship if they desire to live here.

The current permit system is a failure and a complete joke. All you folks who rely on Fox News and CNN to form your world view don't know the truth. Those of you who say "they ought to go through the proper channels to get a permit" don't know the process.

I know something about this personally because I have a friend who has been through it. I'll write about her experiences in my next post.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats. An incredibly good take on the situation, something one rarely sees anywhere. I agree almost totally.

    I do disagree, however, that there are any jobs whatsoever that Americans won´t do. They will if the pay is sufficient. They will not work at the jobs in question for what the illegals are paid, true.

    These are almost 100 percent blue-collar jobs or lower, and they are indeed taking work from Americans in that respect. Were the illegals not available the pay would rise until Americans stepped forth and asked for the job. Those taking advantage of the situation love not having to pay much.

    I still say the illegals, who wouldn´t be illegals if they did it, ought to go through the proper channels to get a permit. If they cannot, they should stay home until they can.

    I don´t know what the channels are, but I´ll take your word that they are dang difficult. So they need to be improved.

    But until that is done, folks should not sneak under the border fence. These people are not little Martin Luther King Juniors, even though many would have you believe so.

    I too favor a wall. Build it high. And develop a feasible work-visa program, and then monitor it closely to make sure visitors do not overstay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Senor Felipe:

    I agree with your market-based assessment of employment IF the market is allowed to function without government influence. But it does not function that way in the U.S. It is influenced by the federal government through minimum wage laws, regulations, unemployment benefits, and welfare.

    As a consequence, I maintain there are some jobs that most North Americans will no longer do. Particularly farm and forestry labor.

    I do not want to over-generalize (like the politicians). My evidence is strictly anecdotal.

    When I was in college, I did some tree planting to make ends meet. This is done November through March in the South. It is typically cold, wet, back-breaking work. You fill a bag with pine seedlings and walk cut- over land, up and down hills, over rough ground, all day long. You use a metal bar to make a hole in the ground, bend over and put a pine seedling in, then close the hole with your boot. Bend over again to make sure the seedling is straight and tight in the ground. Walk eight feet and repeat.

    It was some of the most physically demanding work I've ever done. It paid $.04/seedling or minimum wage, which ever was greater. Of course, if you couldn't plant enough to make the minimum wage number work, you got fired. On a good day, I might plant between two and three thousand seedlings.

    When I graduated with a degree in Forestry, it became my job to hire the contractors to do this work. In the late 1980's and early 90's, these tree planting crews were almost exclusively Black. White workers would not accept the job because they could find easier minimum wage work.

    By the mid 1990's, tree planting crews were almost exclusively Mexican. Blacks would no longer do the job because they could find easier minimum wage work.

    Today the planting crews are largely from Nicaragua and Guatemala. Most Mexicans will no longer do the work.

    So, in essence, I guess we are both "right." If the labor market was allowed to function without government influence, the pay would have to rise to meet the demand. Instead, the market finds workers desperate enough to accept the wages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRAVO, Ray! One of your all-time best posts. Passion and intellect. Judgement and sentiment. Loved it! Even if I am biased b/c you love Honduras as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I read your response to my comment, you seemed to be implying there was a maximum wage as well as a minimum wage. Of course, that´s not so. I believe you´re referring to welfare benefits. And, toss in social pathologies.

    I still contend that if salaries were inched upward for that work people "won´t do" that, at some point, a line will form awaiting the work.

    Of course, that point may be quite high these days, but the point exists. I still maintain that there is no such thing as work people won´t do. Some people, sure, but "people" as a whole? Like that ball field, build it, and they will come.

    I think.

    ReplyDelete