Friday, October 16, 2009

U2 360 Tour

A friend of mine asked that I write a review of the U2 360 Tour concert at the Georgia Dome a couple of weeks ago, so here goes...

Be forewarned I'm hardly an impartial reviewer of anything U2. I've been a big fan since the mid-80's. I vividly remember hearing my first U2 song, "New Year's Day", on the car radio and being completely blown away by their unique sound. Since then, I've bought and enjoyed almost every song they have ever released. I also own numerous concert DVD's, as well as several books by and about members of the band. My wife Becky is probably even a bigger fan. She overcame her fear of flying when I bribed her into taking her first plane flight to see U2 in Denver in 2005. So we were obviously excited about the show in Atlanta.

The 360 Tour is a little different than U2 concerts of the past in that they are only appearing in large arenas like football stadiums. The stage is round, covered by a four-legged monstrosity that holds massive multiple speakers, lighting, and a round video screen. This enormous set-up, which has been dubbed "the spaceship" by fans, is designed to provide a more intimate setting in these large venues (for a peek, go to www.U2.com). The intent is that every seat in the house has a good view of the band--hence the name "360 Tour." My only disappointment with the Atlanta show was that the stage was positioned at one end of the arena (instead of in the center), so there was nothing really gained.

The audience was a little more diverse than at previous shows we've attended. When a group has played for thirty or so years, I guess they attract a wide following: from young kids (7-8 years old) to senior citizens. The production felt a little more "corporate" than past shows ("Blackberry loves U2") and a lot less political. I did not notice the customary presence of groups such as Amnesty International, Greenpeace, or even the One Campaign. The concert did however include a tribute to Aung San Suu Kyi, the democratically elected leader of Burma who is currently imprisoned by a military junta.

The performance was great as always. U2 played twenty-five songs covering the full span of their career. Although a big venue like the Georgia Dome inevitably distorts the sound quality, I'd have to say that I've never heard Bono's voice sound better at a live show. Becky especially enjoyed a remix version of "I Know I'll Go Crazy" which included a cool video accompaniment. My personal favorite was "Amazing Grace" immediately followed by "Where the Streets Have No Name."

No comments:

Post a Comment